Friday, November 25, 2011

Late Night Post

I was able to do something today that I never did before, a Gundam kit.  I can't brag about a snap together kit, but hey, it's a start.  I always wanted to try one though, and maybe get to something more advanced later on.
Gundams were on sale for Black Friday at my local hobby shop, so this  eight dollar kit became five bucks. Which isn't bad for a starter kit.  I chose Raider Gundam from Gundam Seed, mostly for the design.  I prefer Gundam Wing things usually.  This is a 2003 Bandai kit, 1/144 scale model. So hopefully he turns out at least 5 inches? please? Hard to tell when the box is only 7 inches high....
Parts! and yet no Purple parts! Boring! But that's fine, it's expected to paint some portions of these so actually having color parts and stickers is really a plus. Thank you also for the GIANT pictures next to the Japanese instructions. Good job kit.


The ball joints are a nice feature for such a small figure.  So far the foot rotates quite nicely and the parts all fit really smoothly.  I was ready for a lot more pull and tug to make parts fit. The weird part? No joints in the knees, which makes me wonder why so much attention to the feet then?

Bandai is not disappointing me so far with it's sculpt work. Pretty soon arms, legs and weapons are complete.  And hey, a 2 inch zelda gashapon for comparison on the legs. 
Am I done yet? He's pretty fine like this right? ... ok no.  Time to put ALL the parts together.  Bye Bye stumpy.

Woah that flash hurts, but hey it's too highlight all the parts.  Pretty much Raider is lacking in posing, but you can adjust his wings and his weapon and his head pretty far.  It is something a little extra to the overall design, so I'm pleased.  The stickers were difficult, but not impossible, and do add a little sparkle to his otherwise deadpan face.  The shinning point of this kit is how well everything fit.

He needs more paint for sure, which I will get to at another point, for now he can just be how I finished him and guard my PS3. Now for a better final shot:

With some touch ups of silver paint, he looks a little more lively. This was a really fun little bit, something way to easy for usual model kit kids, but really a nice way to make a good figure of character. The plastic is a little lighter and cheaper than other figures but what else could I expect for my fiver? Making it over five inches was also a bonus for Raider. I'll have to scope that shop out again in case another Gundam catches my eye in the future.   Nerd awaaaay~

No comments:

Post a Comment