Monday, December 19, 2011

Chogokin Aegis

As I may have hinted in an older post, I have a thing for demons, monsters, and androids. While I will never see the Tima I long for, another android stole my heart: Aegis from Persona 3.  I know she has had many releases in figure and plush form, but I missed all of them.  I was holding out for a figma Aegis (aka saving up the money) when Chogokin came out with their own version. I figured it would be even more out of my price range.  Then something odd happened.  After seeing reviews and images from other people, I went ahead and took advantage of the amiami sale and got an Aegis of my own.  So how does she stand up to my longing desires?


I have to admit, I love this box and package set.  It saves a lot of space while taking care of all the TINY parts.  Since this is my first Chogokin, I have no idea if all the boxes are this size or if they adjust depending of the character.  I heard this is a smaller box for them usually. Let's break her out!



First impressions: Cold! (probably from shipping in December) the die cast metal parts were cold to the touch, and then she has this really nice weight to her.  Something about an android figure actually being metal is so appealing to me.  I can't explain it, nor recreate it in the photos.  No wonder people prefer their robot/android figures from Chogokin. 

I love how they handled the white parts of her body, they are smooth without having a slick sheen. The gold parts are eye catching in the way I always pictured Aegis. Plus they payed close attention to the joints and how they were designed for the android.  I love this detail of her; with these joints the range of positions for the arms and legs are incredible.  They also included a nub stopper so she could be posed without the massive base, so I tried that out first.  It works very well.  But since they included such an impressive base I want to use it for the display.  The nub will only come into play if I pose her for scenes later on.
Another reason why I went with this aegis over other versions, was her face and hair.  This version of aegis has a more spot on face and hair color/style compared to the figma. This is however my own personal opinion.  I just loved how much the face and the hair matched the artwork of aegis rather than in game versions.  Here is how to switch the faces out.  I love this way because the hair has no seam lines and all the parts match up perfectly.  I guess Chogokin know how to machine a machine.  I love her angry fight face so that the one I settle with for these pictures:
Here is the basically saucer sized base.  I do believe it has to be this big because of the sheer weight of aegis.

I should mention how tight all of the parts are.  Sometimes you really have to push or pull to make things fit, twist, or turn.  Once they do however, they are really solid.  Sometimes I can feel figma or revoltech joints kinda slip, but with these parts that's never the case.  The hands in particular have this sickly POP sound when you put them on or take them off.  This isn't a complaint though, I actually really like this feeling.  Everything is so study that I don't have fears of parts breaking.  I've just never felt that in a figure before.

Her body joint twists and turn with ease, and her neck has a lot of motion as well.  One can see this in the shot where she is looking kind of behind her rifle arm.  You can also see her shoulder metal joints can open up and slide over the gold rims of her shoulders. Giving her arms the same kind of insane range.


The Rifle happens to be my favorite accessory, so I choose to leave it on her for display.  I really love the rocket punch arm as well, but they set that thing on a hair trigger.  Just posing her today with it I managed to fire it at my house plant, my lamp, and once at my face 0_- *  So I will leave the safer bullet hand and rifle for now. 


Speaking of hands, Aegis comes with four sets, I switched them up quite a bit for the shots for everyone to see.  It helps to recreate a lot of the motions Aegis would have in battle, and you sure can with how much air she can get off of the base.  She really is a treat for anyone who love the robot girl destined to fight shadows.

She really went above my expectations.  It's worth the amiami.com sale if you don't have an aegis and want one (I saved 40% from the normal price, which I forget at the moment).  I know Chogokin also came out with a heavy armor set for her from the fes version of the game.  It's expensive and while it would be nice, too expensive for myself (like 30$ for the armor and extra pieces). I'd rather have a Chogokin Metis 0.0;

So in the end I have nothing but praise for Chogokin Aegis, and recommend hitting up amiami.com for purchasing your own.  I'm gonna go pose Aegis some more, nerd awaaay~

No comments:

Post a Comment