Saturday, May 26, 2012

D-Arts Persona 3 Thanatos Figure

OK so when this figure was announced I knew I had to have it, and it is the perfect compliment to a previous D-Arts figure of mine.  Here is the fantastic Persona 3 Thanatos.
So here is the box.  Also a lovely box with a side door and design similar to the game design.  This is one box I suggest keeping, because if you ever have to move the figure you'll want this for protecting the figure in the move.  Which I am currently doing at the moment.  Moving and packing away a figure collection is not fun.
 
Onto the figure:
So he comes in a lot of pieces: figure, base, stand arm, sword parts, coffin support rim parts and the row of coffins (and a couple of shoulder parts that connect the chain to the figure you have to attach).  Once all together it becomes the mighty Thanatos.
 
The details are again very nice, as with Izanagi.  No missed paint spots or difficult joints.
The coffins are an especially impressive portion.  Not only do they match the in game design, but they are also posable.  I like to keep them in  this simple out of box pattern for now.
Here is the plastic support that attaches the coffins too Thanatos.  It can seem distracting at first, but after a while it's easy to accept it as the necessary part that it is.  Personally I love the tiny real chain used along with the coffins, it looks sharp. 
I love the way this figure looks from the back as well as the front.  Just for the details on Thanatos' head, neck and attachable shoulder parts.  You can also see how they coffin supports attach in the holes on his back.
The Base is again like the Izanagi and Aegis I posted before.  Again it is large, but given the weight  of Thanatos it will be necessary as well.
The difference is the stand arm, which is meant to be stronger, but bends and falls under the weight.  So sometimes it can be difficult to pose Thanatos and requires more time and patience than I had to give Izanagi or Aegis.  Once you can find a configuration that works you can achieve similar impressive poses.
Thanatos also came with a swords, one in the scabbard (with a detachable handle) and one with the sword fully out.  I only have the scabbard combo on at the moment as I had to pack him up after these shots.  So instead enjoy some detail shots of this fantastic figure:
My final thoughts on Thanatos: He makes me enjoy the D-Arts line even more.  They pull out great characters for their line and give them the kinds of details and their fanbase asks for.

As far as being better or worse than Izanagi from this line? He is equivalent in terms of posing, paint, and sculpt.  He matches his in game design and is a lot of fun despite a few base issues.  I am not sure where he can be purchased from at this point in time, but I will guess conventions and the normal figure sites may or may not have it.  Do a little internet digging if this review has peeked your interest in D-Arts Thanatos.

Once I've moved into my new place, I'll have to pose him in battle with Izanagi, but until then enjoy these shots.

For the next few weeks it'll be impossible for me to film any new figures (maybe Smoker if I can work it out) Otherwise I will post different reviews like games, books, and figure news.  Hopefully that will be better than nothing!

2 comments:

  1. nice piece of information, I had come to know about your internet site from my friend vinay, delhi,i have read atleast 12 posts of yours by now, and let me tell you, your website gives the best and the most interesting information. This is just the kind of information that i had been looking for, i'm already your rss reader now and i would regularly watch out for the new post, once again hats off to you! Thanx a ton once again, Regards.packers and movers hyderabad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind comment! I'm glad to hear my posts can be of help/entertainment to any readers out there. I will be sure to keep posting what I can in the future. If there is some figure/series you or any of your friends are interested in, leave it in a comment; I have quite a few figures/goods to post about and I can make one of those a priority. : )

      Delete