Thursday, April 19, 2012

Figuarts Zero: New World Chopper

OK, I'm going to admit it, I really love the One Piece Figuarts Zero line. 

In the past I had heard of them but never paid too close attention.  Partly because  I didn't have the funds to pay any, nor did they have the characters to keep my attention.  Then last year, a Donquixote Doflamingo figure from the line was previewed and sparked my interest in the One Piece Figuarts Zero line. 

Fast forward to here and now. I ended up treating myself to a few sale figures (over on amiami) of characters I really adore from the line: Donquixote Doflamingo, Coby & Helmeppo, and the Timeskip version of Chopper.  I ended up loving these so much that Figuarts Zero Crocodile, Smoker and battle posed Zoro are also on the way.  I never intended to be a collector of a certain brand (like figma collectors or nendo collectors) but Bandai hits the right points for me, so this may be a new venture (oh my poor wallet). 

So I'll start off with the cutest little bad ass of them all, The Strawhats pirate doctor Chopper!
Everyone knows Chopper is the almost more advertised that Luffy when it comes to merchandise for the series.  As much as I enjoy the little guy, none of his other goods interested me.  They would tend to seem off either in face or features.  But, I simply adore his redesign for the timeskip, and couldn't resist this deal of a figure.  I got this one for 12 bucks; which is amazing considering it's one of the few Choppers that really lives up too Oda's style. 

The box is pretty typical and pretty small.  I like the design of it; it's very clean with the white and eye catching with the pink and large photographs.  The "easy to collect" line on the back is a liiiiie because these sell out really quick.  Be sure to look for the "Toei" sticker on the box if you are shopping around online.  Figuarts do have bootlegs. (and the look damn awful)
For such a small figure (he is in scale with the rest of the Figuarts Zero One Piece characters, so he has to be) They did some wonderful details: Ridges on his hat, even stripes on his tank top, Gradation on the blue, and a pivoting head.
I rather enjoy the rectangle bases with the personal Jolly Roger, Name, Quote, and "Dead or Alive" wanted theme.  Plus (and yes this is a petty gripe of mine) the square bases fit better next to each other than the round ones of the older Figuarts Zero figures.
 This is a fantastic side view, it looks like how Chopper would be drawn in the manga, from the antlers to the profile to the tiny little hooves.  Chopper fits very well into his pegs on the base.
The white and blue portions on the hat do have some bleed, but it really isn't too bad.  I would rather it be spot on in those areas, but I can't complain about a figure that is otherwise so well done.

Choppers head does turn so you can have him interested in something on the other side of the room if you wish.  The nice addition is the extra arm (you get one with a stick and one without) so he can seem like he's waving.  These arms also pivot so you can have them as high or as low as you prefer.
Here are some size comparison shots (with previous figures I reviewed).  And a little teaser of my next figure post. (Coby and Helmeppo) Really this is a shot to show what a standard base would be for this line and how they minimized Chopper's base.  Which is terribly cute and saves room as well.

Basically if Chopper can be found for a reasonable price, he's a worthy buy.  I love mine, and need to take some better picture sin the future.  Especially when I can get more Figuarts.  I'm also very interested in the Persona 4 Figuarts, but they are more expensive being exclusives. I'll only pay that extra money for a Kanji Figuarts. 

1 comment:

  1. I usually read different blogs, but you share nice post here. It is good to visit your blog. Thanks for sharing. .
    Home relocation services.

    ReplyDelete